There are many practices during an election campaign that candidates are not supposed to do, which count as unfair election practices by the candidates, such as1:
- Using official vehicles without permission.
- Booth capturing.
- Using the help of gazetted officers, stipendiary judges and magistrates, members of the armed forces, members of police forces, excise officers, revenue officers (other than village revenue officers like Patels, Deshmukhs), etc. for election campaigning.
- Advertising using Government money and public funds.
- Using religion during campaigning.
- Using armed forces during campaigning.
- Unfair use of public grounds and spaces for campaigning
- Unfair use of print media, television, radio, social media etc.
- Section 123, Representation of Peoples Act, 1951