Under the Hindu law on adoption,1 there is no set procedure on adopting a child. You do not have to follow any guidelines, but you may have to execute an adoption deed. For more details on procedure and the format of the deed, you should consult a lawyer.
If you are a guardian
- Where both the father and mother are dead;
- Where both the father and mother have completely and finally renounced the world;
- Where both the father and mother have abandoned the child;
- Where both the father and mother have been declared to be of unsound mind by the court concerned;
- Where the parentage of the child is not known.